Before choosing a CBD product, it’s important to consider its ingredients, such as the carrier oil. But to fully establish, what is the best carrier oil for CBD, you must understand why companies use it with CBD products. It’s possible that companies could sell CBD products as pure isolates. However, this form would be extremely difficult for the body to break down. Carrier oils are beneficial oil-based solutions that usually bind with the fat molecules in the body, making CBD prone to breakdowns.
What is a Carrier Oil?
They are oils used to dilute other natural oils or substances, making them easier for the body to ingest. It should be noted that carrier oils aren’t used only with CBD edibles that undergo digestion but also topical products. That’s why essential oils contain carrier oils for safe application, or otherwise, users will end up with skin irritation. Generally, these oils have light flavors and scents, but most importantly, they enhance CBD’s bioavailability.
Benefits of Carrier Oils
The extraction of CBD from hemp plants usually involves several extraction processes. As a result, CBD extract usually comes in various colors. For instance, CBD isolates normally have a white powdery appearance, while broad-spectrum CBD has a dark green or brown color. Using a carrier oil is important for:
Better CBD Absorption
The amount of CBD consumed and absorbed into the body is known as bioavailability. Using a carrier oil helps ensure that more CBD is absorbed into the bloodstream, which leads to better bioavailability.
Understand that CBD is a fat-soluble molecule, and this means that it doesn’t easily dissolve in water but oil. Generally, fat-soluble molecules are usually better digested and absorbed with fat molecules. Carrier oils help facilitate this, ensuring that the CBD compound is readily accessible to the body in all the proper tissues.
Whether CBD spray or oil drops, carrier oils make dosage easier regardless of the CBD product you’re using. It allows you to consume appropriate doses consistently since you can measure the CBD product using a dropper. This would otherwise be difficult if you were using tiny CBD crystalline isolate.
Most carrier oils have sweet flavors and attractive scents. They, therefore, provide consumers with an overall improved CBD experience since they make the whole process more enjoyable.
What is the Best Carrier Oil for CBD?
So, which carrier oil should you choose? There are many types of carrier oils with different properties. Here is an overview of the most popular carrier oils on the market with their pros and cons.
- MCT Carrier Oil
- Hemp Seed Oil
- Palm Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Olive Oil
MCT Carrier Oil
It’s also known as coconut oil or simply medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). It’s the most carrier oil infused with CBD products since it’s usually made through a fractionating process. Fractionating usually skims the large fat molecules found in the oil, only leaving behind MCTs. It should be noted that MCTs easily break down in the body, and that’s why it’s the ideal carrier oil for CBD.
Health Benefits of MCT Carrier Oil
- Activating the immune system and fighting inflammation
- Reducing weight loss by increasing metabolism and reducing appetite
- Easing symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, autism, cancer, and epilepsy.
- Flavorless with a light consistency
- Quick absorption rate with almost 90% saturated fat
- Cheaper alternative
- It doesn’t need chemical processing
- May interact with certain prescription medications
- Excessively builds up ketones in the body, and this might be dangerous to diabetics
- Results in temporary digestive issues such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
Hemp Seed Oil
Both hemp seed oil and CBD come from the same plant, making it ideal for use as a carrier oil. However, they come from different plant parts and hence have different profiles. CBD usually comes from hemp flowers, while hemp seed oil comes from the seeds. It makes them even more different because hemp seeds have fewer beneficial chemicals, including terpenes and cannabinoids.
But the combination of CBD and hemp seed oil is usually used to make full-spectrum CBD products. This is because this carrier oil usually triggers the entourage effect. This means that the CBD product becomes more powerful and effective, especially in contributing to the entourage effect.
Health Benefits of Hemp Seed Oil
- It has powerful anti-inflammatory properties that make it ideal for treating rheumatoid arthritis
- May regulate blood pressure and improve heart health
- The topical application improves symptoms of acne
- Results in the entourage effect
- Strong antioxidant properties
- Good source of minerals such as zinc, iron, calcium, and magnesium
- Rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Can’t hold much CBD compound due to lower solvency
- It has an annoying herb-like flavor
- May cause side effects such as nausea and diarrhea
It has a profile like a coconut oil in its carrier oil properties. Palm oil makes it easier to carry CBD into the bloodstream, making it even easier for the body to break that cannabis compound down.
While it’s generally good, the industry doesn’t advocate for CBD products with palm oil carrier oil. This is because the extraction of raw materials contributes to global deforestation significantly. Harvesting of hemp plants has already led to massive loss of habitat.
Health Benefits of Palm Oil
- Prevents vitamin A deficiency and aging
- Limits the development of brain diseases and cancer
- Can regulate high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Promotes weight loss by increasing metabolism
- Promotes CBD’s bioavailability
- Excellent source of vitamin E
- Has powerful antioxidant properties
- It contains high amounts of saturated fats
- Can increase blood cholesterol levels
- Its extraction is bad for the environment
If you are an avocado lover, you have a reason to be happy. You can now take your favorite CBD oil with avocado oil as the carrier. This product is organic and promotes easier absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream. Besides that, the nutritional facts in avocado oil ensure that your body runs optimally continually. This is because avocado is rich in vitamins A, B, D, and E. in addition to that, it has high amounts of lutein and oleic acid.
Health Benefits of Avocado Oil
- Increases the level of good cholesterol and lowers the level of bad cholesterol. As a result, it helps to lower the risk of heart disease
- Great metabolic marker
- Reduces insulin tolerance and improves glucose tolerance. This makes it effective in easing the symptoms of diabetes
- Vitamin and antioxidant-rich
- It has a sweet, nutty flavor
- It gets quickly absorbed by the digestive tract and the skin
- It has a thicker consistency than most carrier oils
- Comes with a higher risk of allergy
- Quite expensive
It’s quite popular since it’s been researched extensively. Olive oil has a sweet and delicious profile in addition to many health benefits. Most people use it to prepare dishes, but it’s also an excellent carrier oil. This is because it is rich in vitamins and minerals such as iron and vitamins K and E.
Health Benefits of Olive Oil
- It helps to fight inflammation and boost immune health
- Improves the gut bacteria health leading to better digestion
- It prevents cognitive decline and improves nerve function
- Aids in blood clotting and prevents the formation of blood platelet clumps
- Nutrient-rich with high amounts of antioxidants
- Improves digestive health
- Higher skin absorption rate than MCT coconut oil
- More vicious than most carrier oils hence not easy to dose
- It contains long-chain triglycerides that are slower to absorb
- Strong and distasteful flavor to some people
- It doesn’t hold much CBD due to lower solvency
Potential Side Effects of Carrier Oils
Most carrier oils have a good safety profile, just like CBD. This is because they come from organic sources; many people can tolerate them. However, some oils may trigger reactions, especially in people with underlying health problems or prescription medications. Most carrier oils usually result in:
- Digestive issues such as diarrhea, abdominal discomfort, and feeling of nausea
- Throat irritation
- Interference with the blood sugar and cholesterol level
If you have food allergies such as tree-nut allergies, you should be extremely cautious when choosing CBD oil products. Besides that, if you have skin sensitivity issues, some of these ingredients can result in red rashes, itchy skin, etc. Do comprehensive research to avoid unwanted health issues. Besides that, you should consider consulting your doctor first.
It is not easy to state the best carrier oil for CBD. This is because there are many types of carrier oils, and each product has its benefits and downsides. Besides that, personal preferences, your underlying health condition, and allergies all play a crucial role in determining the type of carrier oil you will choose.
Just like CBD products, you can always try different carrier oils until you find one that suits your body. If you are not sure about it, you can seek help from your healthcare provider. This will also help to ensure that you avoid unwanted side effects.