If you have a dog that is suffering from any kind of uncomfortable or painful condition, then you know how hard it is to watch your best friend struggle. Aging dogs can get many painful and inflammatory conditions, just as aging humans can. However, many pet owners are having luck and success with CBD for dogs.
If you’re looking for info on CBD for Dogs, as well as CBD dog treats reviews, then you’ve come to the right place. We’ll cover the basic info you should have before giving your dog CBD oil. We will also review some of the top brands of CBD oil for dogs so that you can go forward with your purchase feeling more knowledgeable and informed. We know that dog owners want only the best for their best friends.
What is CBD Oil for Dogs?
Before we dig in fully, let’s quickly review just what CBD is. If you already know, then feel free to skip to the next section. If not, here’s some vital information for you…
What is CBD for dogs? First things first, CBD will not get you or your dog high. CBD is extracted from industrialized hemp that must contain less than .3% THC (>0.3% THC). This trace amount of THC will not induce the euphoric feeling of being high. However, industrialized hemp is very high in CBD. CBD provides many benefits of the cannabis plant without the high feeling.
Both hemp and marijuana are subspecies of the cannabis family. However, the major difference between the two is the levels of CBD vs THC. Marijuana contains high amounts of THC that will get you high – yes, even medical marijuana. Hemp, however, contains little to no THC and will not get you high. But it is very high in CBD, which contains a plethora of benefits with minimal side effects – safe for you, your pets, and your children.
Please note: THC can be dangerous and potentially toxic for your dog. You should never administer marijuana or anything containing THC to your dog.
Before going any further, it should be noted that you should always consult your doctor, your child’s doctor or pediatrician, as well as your dog or cat’s veterinarian before starting any CBD oil regimen. Remember to put your personal health and the health of your loved ones first. This means making smart choices like always consulting the doctor. Now that we’ve covered that important point, we can get into the good stuff…CBD for pets.
So, without further ado, let’s get right into all you should know about CBD for dogs…
Benefits of CBD for Dogs
If you have been keeping up with all of the latest CBD crazes, then you probably know that CBD oil has a variety of benefits for human beings – with minimal side effects. And you will be pleasantly surprised to find out that many of these same benefits carry over to our canine counterparts.
Some potential therapeutic CBD benefits for dogs include (but are not limited to) the following. CBD can potentially help ease issues in dogs related to:
- Seizures from epilepsy and other conditions
- Chronic pain in muscles and joints including arthritic conditions
- Conditions caused by chronic inflammation
- Acute pain and inflammation
- Sleep issues
- Skin and coat issues
- Autoimmune disorders
- Easing side effects of other drugs like chemo drugs (please remember, CBD oil does not cure cancer)
- Stomach and bowel issues
- Appetite issues and other digestive issues
- Heart health
As mentioned above (and it can’t be stressed enough), please see your pet’s veterinarian before you start CBD oil for dogs or cats (or any pet). They will be able to give the best advice as far as dosage, time of day to administer, etc. They will also help you to monitor progress, as well as any potential side effects and give guidance to go forward.
Possible Side Effects of CBD in Dogs
While the side effects of CBD are usually rare and mild, they can present in some cases. CBD side effects in dogs may include:
- Dry mouth – You may find your dog drinking much more water after administration of CBD. Make sure that you offer plenty of cool water and allow for ample potty breaks, as the increased thirst can come along with increased urination.
- Nausea and/or fatigue from lowered blood pressure – It is well known that larger doses of CBD can cause a slight and temporary drop in blood pressure. Even this small change in blood pressure can lead to feelings of light-headedness and nausea. It’s a great idea to monitor your dog’s side effects before having them go downstairs or any other task that could potentially injure a light-headed dog.
- Drowsiness – CBD can lead to overall drowsiness in dogs, just like in people. So, it might be a good idea to administer CBD at night or give a smaller dose in the morning. This isn’t always the case, so make sure you talk with your vet about your dog’s unique needs and behaviors with CBD use.
How to Choose CBD Oil or Dog Treats
There are a few factors to consider when choosing the right CBD oil or CBD dog treats for your dog. One of the most important ones is to look for third-party lab testing. This simply means that the company sends their finished product to an independent laboratory to test for ingredients, safety, potency, etc. If a company does not fully engage in third-party lab testing with results available to the consumer, you should avoid them.
Another factor to consider is the growing and cultivation processes. Are non-GMO and organic hemp plants used? How about the other ingredients in the company’s CBD oil for dogs?
Price is another factor that is important to everyone. But please remember, you get what you pay for. Cheaper products are not going to be the best or of the highest quality and ingredients. If you’re looking to save money with an effective product, the CBD oils for dogs and CBD dog treats that are priced somewhere in the middle should offer the best value for a good quality CBD product.
CBD Treats vs. CBD Oil for Dogs
This is another factor to consider when choosing CBD for dogs. Some recommend CBD oil for dogs, while others prefer treats. Dosage can be more easily adjusted with oils, and many people believe pure oils are the best CBD product you can get.
However, treats can be an easy, convenient, and fun way to give CBD to your dog. And as many dog owners who use CBD for their dog can attest – after using CBD, your dog will want to play and perform more and more. So, the treats can be a fun way to get them moving and learn some fun new tricks while using the CBD oil that is giving them better mobility again.
Top 5 CBD Products for Dogs on the Market
- FAB CBD Dog Treats Overview: FAB CBD dog treats are a repeated fan favorite. They are a very healthy choice that contains no corn, wheat, soy, or dairy. Each bag contains 9 oz of CBD dog treats, and they have a variety of flavors to choose from. These are peanut butter apple, salmon, and chicken. Each one also contains other natural ingredients for your dog’s specific and unique needs. They contain CBD and terpenes, and are, of course, totally THC-free. The ingredients vary by each flavor/type of treat. You can find full ingredient lists easily right on the product page, however. They use natural ingredients that are good for your dog like salmon oil, coconut oil, bone broth, turmeric, apples, oats, flaxseed, passionflower, and so much more. You really do have to check out these incredible CBD dog treats. You may give ½ to 2 treats per day, and there are detailed dosage guidelines on the packaging, as well as on the website. Many CBD dog treats are a bit lacking in dosage guidelines, but not this one. You can feel as confident about dose as you do with an oil tincture, but with the ease and convenience of treats.
– 3 flavors to choose from
– organically grown hemp
– detailed dosing guidelines for dog’s weight class
– 9 oz of dog treats per bag
– variety of treats for different conditions
– great value for a quality product
– potent broad-spectrum hemp oilCons
–no CBD oil tincture for dogs
Price: As Fabcbd website, their dog treats price for each flover is $34 but if anyone wants to buy all the flovers in a bundle pack the price will be $87.
- FOMO Bones CBD Dog Treats Overview: FOMO Bones offers CBD treats for dogs that include other ingredients that can induce calmness. They use high-quality natural ingredients to help with pain, mood, sleep, and digestion. They also use passionflower, L-Tryptophan, Valerian Root, Chamomile, and other ingredients alongside their CBD isolate. They are not clear on potency for dosage on their website. But they say to give just one bone/treat for dogs 10 to 15 pounds and two treats/bones for dogs that weigh more than that. It isn’t very ideal for those who want to get specific with their dog’s CBD dosage.
– discounted pricing with membership
– discounted pricing with bulk purchases
– full-spectrum CBD tinctures (THC free)
– natural and organic ingredients
– no CBD oil tinctures, just CBD dog treats
– pricing is confusing
– dosage isn’t transparent on the website
– can be a bit pricey if not signing up or buying in bulk
Price: price varies with membership and bulk purchases – a onetime purchase is $39.95 for one bag containing 20 treats.
- Honest Paws CBD Oil for Dogs Overview: Honest Paws gets many great reviews across the board. They offer three different purity levels (strengths) for your dog. Each different concentration is for a specific weight class of dogs, helping to make dosage a bit easier. It is recommended to give 1 ml per day of the right potency for your dog’s weight. They use natural, non-GMO hemp in their CBD for dogs. It is grown in Colorado, and they display their third-party lab testing right on their webpage. The price is moderate, making it a great choice for those who want a quality product without a huge price tag. Shipping is fairly quick, too, with products arriving between two and six days.
– natural and organic ingredients
– 100% full-spectrum CBD oil
– variety of potencies for different weight classes/breeds
– also, offer CBD dogs treats and spreads (peanut butter and coconut oil) with natural and organic ingredients
– third party lab testing displayed on the website
– a wide array of products
– moderate price, not cheapest across the board
– multitude of products can be overwhelming for first-time buyersPrice: $0.16 to $.32 per mg CBD oil
- CBDistillery Full Spectrum CBD Oil for Dogs and Cats Overview: CBDistillery CBD oil for dogs is another fan favorite. They offer high-quality products with the finest ingredients that you can give your dog. This is a high-quality oil at an affordable price. No chemical pesticides are used in their organic, non-GMO hemp. They also use a cold-press method to extract their CBD – which means they use no solvents. They offer results from third-party lab testing right on their website, so you know exactly what you’re giving to your dog. They only offer two sizes – a 150 mg tincture and a 600 mg tincture, so the selection is limited. However, users claim these products are all you’ll ever need.
– high-quality ingredients
– cold-pressed CBD oil
– third party lab testing displayed on the website
– full-spectrum CBD oil tincture
– only two different potencies: 150 mg and 600 mg (both 30 ml bottles)
Price: $20 for 150 mg CBD oil for dogs, $38 for 600 mg CBD oil for dogs (both are 30 ml bottles)
- Populum Zen Pets Calming Hemp CBD Oil Overview: Zen Pets CBD oil for dogs contains hemp oil, hemp seed oil, and coconut oil. They use high-quality ingredients. They use pure balanced plant-based cannabinoids, but it is unclear from the website whether or not their ingredients are all organic, non-GMO, or pesticide-free. Their website says that they offer full-spectrum CBD products that are thoroughly tested. However, the website simply says that all products are formulated in a GMP certified facility and tested and bottled with care. It is not clear if they engage in third-party lab testing.
– full-spectrum CBD oil tincture formulated for dogs and other pets
– discounted pricing with membership (monthly purchase)
– website lacking critical info
– does not specify if organic or non-GMO
– expensive for one-time purchase
– third party lab testing not evident
Price: $32.00 for one-time purchase (100 mg CBD oil in 30 ml bottle)
Is CBD legal?
CBD is federally legal in the United States. This is only for THC-free products that are made from industrialized hemp. Make sure to check your local laws and legislation before buying CBD oil for sale online.
Choosing CBD for dogs is just as important as choosing CBD oil for ourselves. If your dog is suffering with any of the conditions listed above or if you think they may benefit in any way from CBD use, make sure to visit their veterinarian to get started with CBD oil for dogs asap.