The Purple Gelato Cannabis Strain, also known as the Gelato 33 strain and the Gelato 41 strain (different phenotypes, which we will address later), is one of the most popular marijuana strains on the market right now. Users love this strain for a variety of reasons and will recommend it to fellow smokers.
But just what is the Gelato strain? If you’re wanting more info about Gelato kush, then you’ve come to the right place. Let’s quickly review some basic info about marijuana before we dig in to all you need to know about purple Gelato hybrid weed.
Marijuana is slowly being legalized all over the country. Some states have legalized it medically, while others now have full legal recreational weed. Ever emerging research into the medicinal properties of cannabis have helped to push this movement.
You should make sure to check your state and local laws and legislation regarding the possession and use of marijuana before any use. You should also make sure that you talk with your doctor about your options, as well as your reasons for intended use. Please put your health and well being first and keep your doctor in the know about any and all marijuana use – even if it’s recreationally legal in your state.
Gelato Marijuana Strain: What is it?
Now, let’s get into the good stuff: the purple Gelato strain. What is this strain and what sets it apart from the others? These answers coming to you now.
Gelato weed is also sometimes referred to as “Larry Bird.” It is a hybrid strain (cross between sativa and indica) that was created by Cookie Fam Genetics in the Bay Area of California. It was bred from the Sunset Sherbet and Thin Mint GSC strains. If you’re familiar with either of these, then you will surely be interested in the Gelato strain.
The Gelato kush strain gets its name from the delicious, fruity, and dessert-like aroma that the buds put off. Cookie Fam Genetics are known for these sweet scents and flavors. The buds often bloom with dark purple hues, hence the common name Purple Gelato.
The buds also have an abundance of red hairs covering them with a layer of frosty, glistening trichomes. This hybrid strain is coated with lots of resin, meaning lots of THC.
Beginners may want to be careful when smoking on gelato. It is a potent marijuana strain, and even experienced smokers will agree. If you have a high tolerance or enjoy the feeling of being extremely “stoned,” then this is a great strain for you.
It’s relaxing effects are quite strong, but users report that they are still mentally focused and aware. If you are an experienced smoker, then you can probably still get a lot done while smoking on gelato. If you are a novice smoker, then please use with care and try to find a time when you know you can relax with no responsibilities.
There are a few different phenotypes of the Gelato strain, as briefly mentioned at the beginning of this gelato strain review. These include:
- Gelato strain
- Gelato 33 strain
- Gelato 41 strain
These different phenotypes simply denote slight differences in the strain. The Gelato 33 strain has been an all time favorite and most associated with Gelato, in general. The 33 refers to the famous basketball player, Larry Bird. 33 was his jersey number.
Wondering Where to Buy Gelato Marijuana in the USA?
Where can you buy Gelato strains in the United States? Well, first things first, you should find out the laws in your state. If you live somewhere that marijuana is legalized for medicinal use, then you must first obtain your medical marijuana license so that you can purchase weed from medical marijuana dispensaries. From there, you can get Gelato weed, Gelato edibles, and even other items like, say, a Gelato cartridge. This also, of course, depends on the availability of purple gelato in your area.
If you live somewhere that weed is completely legal for recreational use, then you can purchase marijuana at any recreational dispensary as long as you are of legal age. Please don’t skip the doctor visit in these states, though. It’s important to let your doctor know about your marijuana use, just as you would with any kind of drug, medicinal or recreational.
Please never buy Gelato weed off the street or off of the black market. There are many potential dangers to this practice, including both medical and legal repercussions. There is no way to know what you are really buying or what has been put in it when you buy illegal weed. You also run the risk of being caught and prosecuted legally by your state or even at the federal level. Bottom line – don’t illegally purchase marijuana anywhere or at anytime.
Gelato Hybrid Marijuana: Appearance, Aroma, and Flavor
Now that we’ve covered that, let’s get back to the good stuff for all of you legal smokers out there. The nugs of the Gelato strain are distinct and easy to spot for those who are familiar with it. The scent and taste have distinct qualities, as well. Let’s have a look.
Gelato Appearance: The appearance of Gelato 33 (and other Gelato strains) is quite lovely. The buds are dense yet fluffy. They have a bold green color with purple hues all over. They are covered in red hairs and sparkling trichomes of THC resin.
Gelato Aroma: The aromas of Gelato weed are very sweet, fruity, and citrusy. There are earthy undertones, like many other hybrid strains. This aroma is very strong and pungent. It’s not one that can be easily masked if you are trying to be discreet with your weed.
Gelato Flavor: The flavor of gelato is much like the aroma. It is earthy, woody, and sweet. But then it hits you with a floral flavor that is referred to as unmatched by other strains. It has a very pleasant and easy smoke compared to many other strains of marijuana.
Gelato Cannabis Strain: Grow Info
Gelato is perfect for growing indoors, as it grows to a medium height, around three to four feet. This means you don’t need to have super tall ceilings to have a decent indoor grow operation with Gelato kush.
Seeds can be very hard to come by. This is one of the biggest complaints about the whole growing process for Gelato hybrid weed. Once you have the seeds, it is not too difficult to grow and cultivate. The nugs are abundant and dense. Growers report much joy in watching this beautiful strain grow.
Effects of Gelato Marijuana Strain
As mentioned earlier, Gelato weed is very strong. Its effects hit hard and are quite relaxing. Here are some of the noted effects provided by a Gelato Leafly review:
Medical Benefits of Gelato Marijuana
There are many known medical marijuana benefits. While research is ongoing, there has been much success and promise for a variety of issues. Some of the most common uses of medical marijuana include marijuana for:
- Chronic and/or acute pain
- Painful conditions of the muscles and joints
- Insomnia and other sleep related conditions
- Appetite issues (particularly lack of appetite)
- General anxiety and other anxiety related disorders like PTSD
- General stress
- Neuropathic pain
- Neurodegenerative disorders
- Seizures and epilepsy
- And more.
Please remember to consult your doctor even if you live somewhere that recreational marijuana is legal. Please make the smartest choices when it comes to your health and well being. You might be surprised to find out how many physicians are in full support of the therapeutic use of marijuana.
Possible Side Effects of Gelato Weed
There are some potential side effects with the use of medical marijuana. While these are generally mild, some people can not handle them. Some common medical marijuana side effects include:
- Dry mouth
- Dry eyes
- Drowsiness, dizziness, and/or fatigue
- Increase in appetite
- Increased heart rate
- Feelings of anxiety and/or paranoia
Again, while these are usually rare and mild, they can be quite intense for some. Make sure you communicate any and all unwanted side effects with your doctor. Also, making sure you are using marijuana on a full stomach can help to alleviate some unwanted side effects. The other seemingly obvious option is to reduce your dosage of marijuana intake.
If you want a very strong and intense high from a potent strain, then Gelato weed is perfect for you. Of course, make sure you talk with your doctor about any and all marijuana use – just as you would any major lifestyle change or therapeutic drug use. Hopefully, this Gelato review has equipped you with all you need to know about the fabulous Gelato strain!
- Allison Karst. “Weighing the Benefits and Risks of Medical Marijuana Use: A Brief Review” (2018). Pharmacy. Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6306710/
- Charles W Webb, MD and Sandra M Webb, RN, BSN. “Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis: A Patient Survey” (2014). Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3998228/
- Gelato. Leafly. Retrieved from: https://www.leafly.com/hybrid/gelato
- Gelato. Wikileaf. Retrieved from: https://www.wikileaf.com/strain/gelato/
- Gelato Cannabis Strain Review [Sweet as Candy]. Marijuana Break. Retrieved from: https://www.marijuanabreak.com/gelato-cannabis-strain-review-sweet-as-candy
- Mary Barna Bridgeman, PharmD, BCPS, BCGP and Daniel T. Abazia, PharmD, BCPS, CPE. “Medicinal Cannabis: History, Pharmacology, And Implications for the Acute Care Setting” (2017). Pharmacy and Therapeutics. Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5312634/
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; Health and Medicine Division; Board on Population Health and Public Health Practice; Committee on the Health Effects of Marijuana: An Evidence Review and Research Agenda. “The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research” (2017). The National Academies Collection: Reports funded by National Institutes of Health. Retrieved From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28182367
- Yara Mouhamed, Andrey Vishnyakov, Bessi Qorri, Manpreet Sambi, SM Signy Frank, Catherine Nowierski, Anmol Lamba, Umrao Bhatti, and Myron R Szewczuk. “Therapeutic potential of medicinal marijuana: an educational primer for health care professionals” (2018). Drug, Healthcare, and Patient Safety. Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6001746/